Rhubarb is still available at Brigham Farm's stand this week.
Delicious sweet muffins with tart rhubarb filling!
Makes 12 muffinsFilling:
8 oz. about 5 small or 3 large stalks rhubarb, peeled and chopped
3/4 c. sugar
juice of 1 lime
1 Tbsp. chpped candied ginger
1. In a large, heavy-bottome suacepan over high heat, combine rhubarb, sugar, lime juice and candied ginger. Stir well.
2. Bring to a boil, stirring often. Lower the heat to medium-hhigh and simmer, stirring almost constantly for 7 min.
3. Transfer to a bowl and cool.
baking spray for the muffin tin
2 1/4 c. flour
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 c. butter room temp.
3/4 c. sugar
2 Tbsp honey
1/2 c. sour cream
1/2 c. buttermilk
sugar for sprinkling
1. Set the oven at 350 degrees. Line each cup of muffin tin with paper and spray generously with baking spray.
2. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt to blend.
3. In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, if you have one, or use the whisk, beat the butter and sugar for 3 min on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. With a rubber spatula, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
4. Turn the mixer to medium and slowly drizzle in eggs, oil, and honey until the liquids are fully incorporated.
5. Ina bowl, combine the sour cream, and buttermilk. With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat the flour mixture into the batter alternating with the buttermilk mixiture, beginning and ending with flour. Do not overmix.
6. Fill each muffin cup half-way with batter. Spoon about 1 Tbsp of rhubarb filling onto the batter. Fill the cups to the top with the remaining batter. Using a small spatula, level the tops ofthe muffins to make sure the batter fully covers the filling.
7. Sprinkle the tops with sugar. Bake for 25 min. or until the tops are golden brown. Serve warm.
From Karoline Boehm Goodnick, for The Boston Globe.